Central Air Conditioning FAQs
As your local HVAC company in Monaca, Pennsylvania, we know you have questions about how to keep your air conditioner running smoothly—after all, knowing what to look for can help keep your monthly energy bill costs down and may even reduce what you spend on AC maintenance and repair services over time.
To help our customers in Beaver Valley stay informed about their AC systems, we’re answering the following common air conditioning FAQs. When the time comes to schedule air conditioner maintenance or repairs, you know who to call for fast and reliable HVAC services!
For all of your AC repair, maintenance, installation, or replacement needs, call BVSM Heating & Air Conditioning at 724-417-9550 or contact us online. You can also view our common frequently asked questions below!
How Often Should I Have My Air Conditioner Serviced?
In order to ensure reliable, efficient operation, your air conditioner should be professionally maintained on an annual basis. The best time to schedule this vital service is in the spring, before the summer kicks into gear. This greatly reduces the risk of a system breakdown in the peak of summer!
How Does an Air Conditioner Work?
A split system is composed of an indoor and outdoor unit which work in tandem to cool your home. When the thermostat engages the AC, refrigerant begins to circulate among the coils. As the warm indoor air is drawn in through the return vents, it passes over the coils to remove the heat and humidity and disperse it outdoors. The resulting cooled air is then circulated through the supply vents, lowering the temperature and humidity of your indoor air.
How Often Do You Change the Air Filters in Your House?
Air filters trap dust, pollen, pet dander, and other particulate and stop them from circulating throughout your HVAC system and living space. Once they become dirty or clogged airflow is hampered, efficiency is reduced, and indoor air quality is lowered. While you may be able to manage three months or longer without having to change your air filters, factors such as owning pets and other indoor air quality issues may increase the frequency of needing to replace your filters.
Why Is My Air Conditioner Not Cooling My Home?
A lack of cold air may be caused by any of the following:
- The fan is set to “ON” rather than “AUTO” which blows air around the clock, whether or not the cooling system is engaged.
- A dirty air filter can hamper airflow and may freeze the evaporator coil.
- Dirt or debris surrounding the outdoor unit can prevent the condenser from dispersing the heat collected from inside your home.
- A low refrigerant charge or leak prevents the AC from absorbing enough heat to cool the air.
- A malfunctioning condenser fan motor will prevent the condenser from dispensing heat.
- A faulty compressor prevents the circulation of refrigerant, needed to remove heat from your indoor air.
- And more—talk to a professional for a diagnosis of your cooling issues.
Should I Repair or Replace My AC?
Consider replacing your inefficient or malfunctioning AC if:
- The unit is over 12 years old
- The cost of the repair is more than 50 percent of the cost of a new unit
- Your AC is unable to sufficiently cool your home
- Your energy bills are steadily rising due to poor energy efficiency
Is Regular Maintenance Important for My AC?
During annual preventive maintenance, a technician will inspect, clean, and tune your AC, and perform any minor repairs as needed. This service is vital to ensure the reliable efficient performance of your AC and can help to prolong the lifespan of your equipment. Often, it’s required to uphold the manufacturer’s warranty, too!
Should I Turn the AC Off While I’m At Work or on Vacation?
Your AC not only keeps your home cool but also helps to control humidity. Maximize the efficiency of your cooling system and prevent the growth of mold or mildew by setting the unit several degrees higher than your preferred setpoint any time you are asleep or away for more than eight hours, but don’t turn the system off completely.
Why Are Some Rooms in My Home Warmer Than Others?
The most common reasons for uneven cooling include:
- Blocked or closed supply registers
- Dirty air filters
- Inadequate insulation
- Leaky ducts
- Inadequately sized ductwork
- An improperly sized cooling system
Air Conditioner Services in Beaver Valley
At BVSM, our number one priority is your family’s comfort and satisfaction. We hope that, by providing fast and dependable air conditioner repair, maintenance, and installation services in Beaver Valley, you and your loved ones can feel content in your homes and spend more energy on other things—like cooking dinner together or staying in for a weekend movie.
Based in Monaca, PA, our HVAC company services the local areas of Aliquippa, Beaver Falls, Dormont, Economy, and Moon, PA. To schedule AC services, call us at 724-417-9550 or contact us online!